SIMPLE HOME TESTS TO CHECK FOOD ADULTERATION
Adulteration of food products is one of the biggest health threats to the Indian Consumers. There are laws against it but it is still prevalent and practiced at a much larger scale than a common man can envisage. Hence the Indian Government, FSSAI and we at Consumer VOICE advocate the need of Indian Consumers to be informed and hands-on about the ways and means to beat this menace.
- Lighter things float and heavier things sink in water. Using this principle, you can detect papaya seeds added to black pepper. Papaya seeds float to the top in a glass of water and black pepper settles down.
- Natural colors do not give away their color that quickly in water however synthetic colors dissolve quickly. If you put a spoonful of red chilies in water, natural one floats and does not give any color, however if adulterated with color, it will leave a streak of color immediately.
We have listed simplest of the adulteration home tests for milk, honey, tea, food grains and spices for you to perform to check if the grocery that you get every month is safe for consumption and worth the money.
Consumer VOICE Magazine
Consumer VOICE Magazine has been an instrument of change and knowledge for our subscribers. It empowers them to make informed choices by knowing the exact facts and stories behind the claims that manufacturers and companies make.
- Best Buys and Value for Money. Product Reviews and Recommendations
- Financial Advice by our Banking and Finance Desk
- Legal Advice by Team of Experts
- Informative Articles, Case studies & real stories of consumers